The Best Ever Vegan Burger
20 December, 2020
for 4 servings
- 1 cup walnuts(100 g)
- 8 oz cremini mushroom(225 g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup black beans(170 g), cooked
- 3 tablespoons beet, grated
- 1 cup brown rice(230 g), cooked
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vegan worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ cup vital wheat gluten(65 g)
- vegan bbq sauce, for basting
- 4 slices vegan cheese
- 4 burger buns
- vegan mayonnaise, to serve
- lettuce, to serve
- sliced tomato, to serve
- red onion, sliced, to serve
- Add walnuts to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Add mushrooms and blend until finely chopped.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and add the mushroom walnut mixture, cooking for 5-8 minutes or until all moisture has evaporated.
- Add soy sauce and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, until dry. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until semi-translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, and tomato paste, and cook for for another 3-5 minutes until fragrant. Set aside.
- Add black beans and onion mixture to food processor, and blend until mostly smooth.
- Transfer mixture to bowl and add beets, rice, vegan mayo, worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke, and stir until combined.
- Add in vital wheat gluten and use hands to knead burger mixture together until all wheat gluten is fully incorporated.
- Form burgers into 4 patties about 3-inches (7 cm) in diameter and 1-inch (2 cm) thick.
- In large cast-iron pan, over medium-high heat cook patties about 5 minutes on each side.
- Add on vegan cheese slices and melt.
- Assemble burger with vegan mayo, lettuce, tomato, and red onion.
Join Our WhatsApp Group For Daily Updates